Sunday, October 14, 2007

Crime, Accident & Court Stories

This chapter was the first time the textbook covered spot-news stories. When a reporter arrives at the scene of a crime, accident or fire, all initial reporting must be done at the scene -- there is no time to gain background information or pre-arrange interviews.

In both cases, the book strongly recommends talking to witnesses, because they often give the best accounts of what happened. It also recommends interviewing victims' families and friends, but to be sensitive. I wish the book had gone into further detail about what questions should and should not be asked. I'm afraid that I'll ask too few questions for fear of being insensitive, because I know that I'll be uncomfortable and will feel like I'm overstepping my boundaries.

The only other part of this reading that really stuck with me is that, when it comes to journalism ethics, most things are decided on a case-by-case basis. Every editor is different and is willing to publish different things. I'm glad I don't have to memorize a bunch of ethical rules and standards while I'm in school...I can just wait to see what my editor says.

No comments: